Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Episode 301

After three weeks without television (yes, it's true - but reading Confessions of a Shopaholic and Twilight is such a brainless activity that it qualifies as TV, right?), I feel like it wouldn't be fair to try to jump right back in with a post on a show that I haven't been consistently watching. So, I will start with commercials. As most of you probably know, I absolutely love the Sonic commercials, which I was only introduced to upon my relocation to the alien world of California. The first one I ever saw still has me cracking up every time I think about it -- it just drives me...you'll see: just watch.

I just recently saw another version, equally as brilliant. This one, though maybe not as laugh-out-loud funny, really hit home and made me realize that people writing for TV are just normal (read: abnormal) people like you and me, who used weird mnemonic devices to help them remember their locker combinations. Yet somehow these genius writers are still at it with the Sonic commercials, while some really untalented people have made it to prime time with My Boys (for example).

This newest Sonic commercial may be most appealing to the Saved by the Bell generation, when lockers were for cool kids (locks, though, not so much, but we can ignore that for right now). And since I brought up Saved by the Bell (on purpose), I would just like to take this opportunity to announce that you are reading a blog about TV by someone whose commentaries on TV have recently been published in one of the most widely read publications in the U.S.: People Magazine (yes, in the MailBag section, but still, can you imagine how many people send in letters each week?!) So even though only about 10 people will read this entry, 3.75 million people will know how I feel about Saved by the Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment