Thursday, May 14, 2009

Episode 212

Vindicated! Not only has the word Middlebury emanated from the brilliant Alec Baldwin's mouth, but it was done so with true Middlebury pride (minute 13:25). Of course there is someone writing for 30 Rock who is a Midd alum (since this is the second time it's happened), but that is completely irrelevant because guess what world, MIDDLEBURY IS AWESOME. I might be a little more bitter about this than the next guy, considering I currently attend Middlebury's west-coast peer, but if anyone ever again asks me if Vermont is near New York, I will know in my heart of hearts that at least in TV Land, we are appreciated.

And although I hate linking academic things to television, I am too excited about this not to post it: a book being published on 30 Rock and philosophy.  Maybe the academic world does have some spunk after all.  As I said in my first post, television can teach us more than anything else.  I encourage you all to submit to the CFP -- and it's a real thing, I swear -- I'm just sorry I missed this one.

1 comment:

  1. Possible themes and topics might include, but are not limited to, the following:

    (my favorites, in no particular order, are:)
    How good is too good? Kenneth, Morality, and Self-Deception
    Sexual Harassment: Mr. Weinerslave, Inappropriate Hats, and Innuendo
    Seeing the world through glass brightly: Kenneth’s world-view, faith, and suffering
    The Perils of Self-Deception: Jenna, Tracy, Liz…oh hell, it’s everybody
    The Politics of Satire and the Satire of Politics: Meet Jack Donaghy, Republican Extraordinaire

    AHH! Go Midd! By the way, I discussed Midd/30 Rock with one of my 7th graders today. He had no idea what I meant by "alma mater"...but think in the end, I convinced him how cool it was that his teacher was very connected to a 30 Rock episode!

    ReplyDelete