Friday, September 10, 2010

Episode 501

The fall line-up is about to begin, and that means my "summer programming is too mindless for discussion" excuse for not writing is no longer valid. I would like to defend this three month break, however, by reminding my loyal readers that they would much rather read nothing than read about the shows I was watching this summer: The Bachelorette, Big Brother, Pretty Little Liars, Say Yes to the Dress, should I continue? Basically, what I'm saying is: you should be thanking me.

With all of the TV awfulness converging over the summer, I seem to find myself much more easily amused with what is out there. Reruns of Friends become so laugh-out-loud funny that you save them on your DVR so you can share the joke -- which turns out isn't funny to anyone else -- with anyone who comes over. You even begin to YouTube the commercials you like so you can re-watch them on loop. And speaking of things that only the mighty few can appreciate, thanks to my non-Dawson's Creek watching friend for clue-ing me into this gem early on this summer.

The summer did end with one major success, though: the Emmys. Unfortunately, Parks and Recreation was shafted for nominations and Friday Night Lights was perhaps even more shafted for wins (as amazing as Bryan Cranston is, Kyle Chandler is absolutely the most talented actor on TV). And when on earth is Steve Carell going to nab the Best Actor Emmy? This is getting kind of absurd. If Michael Emerson replaces him -- in what would be the best casting decision since casting Steve Carell as Michael Scott -- I bet he takes the Emmy his first year (making up for another Emmy shaft from this year - LOST). Still, the ceremony itself was stellar, and it is definitely worth checking out some of the highlights: namely George Clooney guest starring on Modern Family and Ricky Gervais just being funny.

I'd like to conclude with a confession: I think Lauren Graham is funny. It really pains me to say it. Let me be clear, though: I still think Gilmore Girls gives sitcoms and all TV a bad name, but I'm ready to admit that it's the writing and not the acting (at least not hers). Thanks to the threatening encouragement of my Hollywood posse, I finally gave in to more than 5 minutes of Parenthood, and in addition to being wowed by some of the new faces (new to me, at least), Lauren Graham won me over. So there we have it -- if you can't read my blog anymore because of this, I completely understand. In fact, I respect you all the more for it.

2 comments:

  1. Connie Britton's loss was more disheartening to me. Bryan Cranston is really good and the writing top-notch, so I understand his win, but Kyra Sedgwick? Really?

    I was also saddened that Brad Leland (Buddy Garrity) wasn't at least nominated. This wasn't a particularly strong season for him story-wise, but he brings such a strong, believable performance week in and week out. He needs some props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and yes. Good point about the Britton/Sedgwick differential - at least Kyle Chandler (who can say more with a facial expression than most actors can say with an entire monologue) lost to some incredible competition.

    And Brad Leland is really one of the most believable supporting characters in any TV drama - the fact that he can stand out so much even among a cast filled with convincing actors is impressive.

    ReplyDelete