Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Episode 103

The other day, I was high on life, thinking how cool it is to be a twenty-something. Living the stress-free life (at grad school), hanging out with friends (on Facebook), going out (to the movies)...you know, the whole she-bang. [That's what she said?]

I'm in my twenties! I'm young! I still have time!

That's what I thought, at least. And then I picked up the remote, flipped to The Family Channel, and found out something horrible, something awful, something really, really depressing:

UNCLE JESSE IS 23 YEARS OLD.*

Not many things can make a 24-year-old feel old. But this is one of them.

By the time Uncle Jesse was 23, he was living in a walk-up in San Francisco -- one that magically turned into a 5-bedroom house with a furnishable attic and basement, not to mention the enormous living room and kitchen, both equipped with vaulted ceilings. Oh, and he was the title player in a Beach Boys cover band.

(*For those of you who are thinking, well, Uncle Jesse was 23 but there's no way John Stamos was that young, think again. I immediately IMdB-d it: he was 24. Not any more comforting.)

I thought looking at a picture of Uncle Jesse now, in 2009, would make me feel better. I figured he's old, worn out, probably has some grey hairs (he has to have at least aged more than Aunt Becky).

Turned out I was terribly wrong.

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite entry to date. I had no idea that uncle Jessie was supposed to be that young at the beginning of full house. However, realize that Danny is supposed to be like 30 and if you think about it, Jessie isn't so different than you or me. He's struggling to figure out what he's doing with his life and he's bumming around at his sister's widowed husband's house. Sounds like something a 23 year old would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy John Stamos! What's with these people?

    ReplyDelete