Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Episode 607

Maybe it's because Modern Family has been on a too-long hiatus, or maybe it's because of my blatant obsession with all-things-celebrity, but the other night, I had a dream that I met Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Mitch) and we became fast friends.  It felt incredibly real, because, in the dream, I was appropriately starstruck and shocked at how quickly he warmed up to me.  Cam was there, too - we also got along, but he was a little wrapped up in some other dream-weird activities.

In any case, it got me thinking - people always ask which celebrities you would want to meet, and the dream made me realize that the important criteria should not be fame or, say, utter hotness, it should be relatability.  Because how much would it suck to meet George Clooney, only to find out that you can't hold a conversation with him (let alone point to Darfur on a map)?

But how can you know who you would be able to relate to?  I mentioned before how celebrity interviews can be illuminating - and I think this is the key.  Be sure you relate to the actor, not just the character.  For instance, I love Ron Swanson, but on an interview on Conan recently, Nick Offerman (the actor behind Ron Swanson) listed off a few of his pet peeves, and I fit the people-he-hates bill just about perfectly...particularly in the "flip-flop sandal"-wearing category.

Luckily, based on interviews, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, and Ty Burrell all still make the cut.  They might (might!) be funnier than me and at a slightly different life stage (maybe I'd fare better as a middle-aged man...), but I think they'd appreciate my jokes as much as the next guy.   That is, not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment