Thursday, May 27, 2010

Episode 427

Well, wow. LOST is over. I think I speak for everyone -- regardless of how you felt about the finale -- when I say that it was extremely emotional coming to the end. I know many people were disappointed that we didn't get many answers, but the feeling I had in the last few minutes of the series made me think that that didn't really matter. Whatever it was that happened in that last scene -- I don't want to say anything for the sake of my most loyal reader who is currently only on season 3, and I'm not even sure I could describe it if I tried -- I want that. But I also want LOST. And that's what DVDs are for.

Despite the incredible impact that LOST has had on American culture, especially recently, there's something about dramas that don't allow them to seep into daily life as much as comedies. When someone says "yadda yadda yadda" or "that's what she said" or bangs the insides of their fists together in anger, we kind of just know what it means. Somewhere in the back of our heads, we might be thinking Seinfeld, The Office, or Friends, but it's not our first reaction. Contrarily, if I were to respond to two friends arguing with "live together or die alone" they would -- after rolling their eyes -- hear it as a quote from LOST.

Speaking of finales, I'll blame my blog absence on the abundance of them these past few weeks. Some just for the season (and mostly successes, I must say) and some forever (goodbye 24 and Law & Order...and I know you'll all miss the critically acclaimed 10 Things I Hate About You). We've seen hopeful cliffhangers (Holly coming back to Scranton?) and touching heart-warmers (Modern Family's family portrait). And to put a silver lining on an otherwise terrible season, we saw a humble, deserving, and stand-up guy take the American Idol crown as we bid Simon a fond farewell.

So as the last few series (e.g. The Mike O'Malley Show...oh, I mean, Glee) come to their season finales, we now finally have an excuse to watch truly crappily awesome and usually reality TV: summer programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment