Thursday, June 18, 2009

Episode 222

I haven't had time to devote to the blog recently, but I have a good excuse: TV. Since my last post, I watched the first half of Season 1 of the original Beverly Hills, 90210 and the first eight episodes of Gossip Girl. Now, while I wait for discs 3 and 4 of GG on Netflix, I write.

Watching these two shows back to back is pretty fascinating. The parallels are never-ending, but the one notable discrepancy is that in the 90s, the dorky cute guy had not yet made an appearance in teen soaps. So while we have the Brandon/Nate and Dylan/Chuck parallels, GG's Dan is definitely a character of the 2000s. Although something tells me Chuck wouldn't be caught dead wearing overalls with one strap undone. Only Luke Perry can pull that off.

The development from 90210 and the rest of its cohort to Gossip Girl (with Dawson's Creek somewhere in between) is crazy. What people thought was scandalous in 1990 isn't even a blip on the radar in 2009. Yet the people who create these teen soaps manage to continue to push the envelope...and it is awesome. But I definitely won't ever let my children watch television.

No comments:

Post a Comment